Olkaria-Lessos-Kisumu Transmission Line Construction Project
|Client:||Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Ltd.|
|Date:||NOVEMBER 2009 - JUNE 2015|
Narrative Description of Project:
Under the Olkaria-Lessos-Kisumu Transmission Lines Construction Project, transmission lines will be constructed from the Olkaria geothermal power production district in Rift Valley Province, where Japanese ODA loan finances a power project, to Kisumu in Nyanza Province via Lessos in the same province. Spanning approximately 290 kilometers, the construction of transmission lines will be accompanied by an expansion in substation facilities, with the objective of providing a stable power supply to Kenya’s western region, where the central city of Kisumu will be facing pressing power needs predicted in years to come. The project is composed of the construction of approximately 213 km 400 kV double circuit transmission line between Olkaria II Substation and Lessos Substation; construction of approximately 73.5 km, 220kV double circuit transmission line between Lessos Substation at Kisumu East (Kibos) and approximately 3.5 km 132kV double circuit transmission line between the proposed new Substation at Kisumu East (Kibos) and Kisumu (Mamboleo) Substation; and construction works for the expansion of the existing Lessos 220 kV Substation, the expansion of the existing Olkaria II 220kV Substation, the expansion of the existing Kisumu 12kV Substation and construction of a new 90 MVA 220/132/33kV Substation at Kisumu East (Kibos).
These lines will be connected to the transmission lines being constructed in neighboring Uganda under the Interconnection of Electric Grids of Nile Equatorial Lakes Countries Project, also supported by a Japanese ODA loan, aiming to provide a stable supply of electrical power to East African region through a transnational power interchange. Transmitting power from the Olkaria geothermal power production district to consumption areas will contribute to the enhancement of green energy use, meaning that this project is qualified as Climate Change ODA Loan.
Description of Actual Services Provided in the Assignment:
- Undertake design and prepare specifications, and discuss alternative engineering solutions with the Client where necessary.
- Analysis of geotechnical investigations’ results and approval of foundations’ design.
- Design of substation extension components to include the proposed additional transformers and shunt reactors and prepare specifications and tender documentation.
- Conduct site visits with prospective tenderers and attend to queries and issue any addenda, in consultation with the Client during the tendering period.
- Participate in tender opening, evaluation, and pre-award contract negotiations.
- Review and approve line route, line plans, and profiles, tower spots, foundation classifications, tower types, and schedules and detailed designs.
- Review contractor’s work schedule, method statements, manufacture, erection of towers and other infrastructure, testing and commissioning including procedures for quality assurance during the design, manufacturing, installation, testing and handover.
- Supervision of erection works.